Thursday, July 29, 2004

conventions make the news boring

Honestly.

I had the idea for this blog because I used to print out all the horrifying news stories every day and file them away so I could, sort of like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory, track the decline of our country page by page. I could find dozens every day that were subtle but connectable, (but, c'mon, earthquakes in Turkey? Puhleeze.)

I'm having problems this week. The news is all about the convention, which is as spontaneous and newsworthy as the farm report. Hey, I'm a democrat, and I'm not even buying into this love fest.

In any case, I've asked friends to send in some good candidates, and I got a few:

APPALLING NEWS

CEO pay hikes double
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The CEO's at the nation's largest companies saw their raises more than doubled in 2003 as the median raise handed out by S&P 500 companies to their top executives was 22.18 percent, according to a study by The Corporate Library.

and yet...

Americans' incomes fell for two years
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Americans' overall income shrank for two consecutive years after stocks plunged in 2000, the first time that has effectively happened since the current tax system was put in place during World War II, according to a published report Thursday.  

FORK

 
This isn't strictly NEWS (due to it's not being new) but I'm vaguely shocked that these things no longer qualify for "News of the Weird." 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home