Monday, August 02, 2004

other countries make us look stupid

Maybe I'm just blindly provincial, but the following news item shocked the crap out of me today.

As Repression Lifts, More Iranians Change Their Sex - By NAZILA FATHI Published: August 2, 2004
TEHRAN, Aug. 1 - Everything about Amir appears masculine: his broad chest, muscled arms, the dark full beard and deep voice. But, in fact, Amir was a woman until four years ago, when, at the age of 25, he underwent the first of a series of operations that would change his life.

I think this is shocking because Iran, burned into my brain as an insular, conservative, religious culture from the news that makes it to mainstream US media, is talking about transsexual operations and subsequent marriages, while the US is doing unbelievably stupid things like


Choir Chief Fired for Backing Gay Marriage - By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: August 2, 2004 Filed at 2:15 p.m. ET
SEBRING, Fla. (AP) -- A church choir director who wrote a newspaper opinion piece supportive of gay marriage was fired after church officials took issue with the article.

Dennis Ray, who is gay, said his firing by the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) came as a surprise. He lost his job after a July 22 guest column appeared in Highlands Today in which he claimed half of the church's members believe in acceptance of gay people.

Gooooooo TEAM!!!

(For what it's worth, I *know* I'm blindly provincial because everytime I see pictures of steel and concrete structures in pictures of Ireland I think, "*That's* not Ireland. Ireland has sheep in it." Yes, yes, I know. I'm actually highly educated, and there's no reason for this. I can't help it. In my spinal cord, Ireland is still in, like, the 1600s.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home